Sunday, 24 February 2013
We are ready for Boko Haram — Lagos State Government
It urged residents to disregard reported threats by some groups to attack the state.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Lateef Ibirogba, and the Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, disclosed that the government had put measures in place to ensure the protection of lives and property.
The commissioners, who led a team of workers and security personnel to comb under bridges and black spots in Surulere local government, said security agencies in the state have since commenced work on intelligence reports.
Ibirogba said, “I will say categorically that Lagos is safe, Lagosians should not entertain any fear. We have done all we are supposed to do to ensure that we live safely. Lagosians should go about their normal duties without entertaining any fear.
“The idea of Boko Haram coming to attack Lagos is nothing to scare anybody. This is a proactive government and Lagosians have confidence in their government.
“Lagos is home to everybody and I don’t think anybody in the right frame of mind will want to extend act of terrorism or violence to Lagos.”
While reacting, Bello said the government had sent the transporters under the bridge in Ojuelegba packing.
He explained that the decision was meant to clean up the place and get rid of unscrupulous elements hiding under the bridge, perpetrating evil.
He said the Kick Against Indiscipline would henceforth occupy the garage and ensure that those polluting the place do not return.
Meanwhile, the security check at the state governor and his deputy’s entrance gates has been beefed up.
It was learnt that the directive was given by top security aides to the state governor. Some of the policemen deployed to the main gate leading to the state Secretariat, Alausa, said they had been instructed not to allow anybody into the secretariat except those cleared by the Office of Head of Service.